Joel A. Lebewitz, CPA, JD, CEPA
“To accomplish great things, we must dream as well as act.” – Anatole France
While selling CPA review course materials in law school, Joel became increasingly interested in accounting. He realized that as an attorney in a CPA firm he could be more effective than as an attorney in a law firm. He decided to pursue his CPA and landed at Lurie in 1975.
Joel provides tax, strategic planning, deal structuring and consulting services to manufacturers, distributors, real estate, and service companies in all areas of business. In addition, Joel advises entrepreneurs, families and individuals on tax planning, consulting and compliance matters. He is the lead partner of the China Strategies Consulting division, where he works directly with various organizations at different levels in both the public and private sectors in China. Throughout his over 40 years at Lurie, Joel has built a reputation as the “go-to” guy for solving problems. He is passionate about helping employees and clients alike succeed and achieve their personal and professional goals.
Joel loves to travel and has been all over the world. Some of his favorite destinations are China, Italy and Cancun, where he has been scuba diving for the past 10 years.
- Juris Doctorate – William Mitchell College of Law
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting – University of Minnesota
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Tax Twenty Round Table
- University of Minnesota China Center Advisory Council
- Minnesota Cup – High-Tech and Grand Prize Review Boards
- Metropolitan Economic Development Association – Past-Board Chair
- 2015 MEDA Volunteer of the Year Award recipient
- Small Business Administration Award for Minority Business Advocate